If you are planning to visit the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, it is important to understand the different entrances to the camp and how to access them. In this article, we will explore the various entrances and provide you with useful information to guide you during your visit.
Main Entrance: The Front Gate
The main entrance of the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp is located on Strasse der Nationen in Oranienburg, Germany. This entrance leads to the camp’s administrative area, where you can find the visitors’ center, bookstore, and exhibition spaces. To reach this entrance, you can take public transportation or drive to the camp.
The Station Z Entrance
The Station Z entrance is an essential part of the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. It is situated at the back of the camp and provides access to the infamous gas chamber and crematorium area. This entrance allows visitors to explore the history of the camp’s extermination program.
- Be prepared for an emotional experience when visiting the Station Z entrance, as it is a solemn place that commemorates the victims of the Holocaust.
- Take your time to reflect and pay your respects to the victims in this area.
Camp Entrance for Prisoners: The Roll Call Area
The Roll Call Area was the camp entrance exclusively used for prisoners. This entrance is located near the main entrance and was where the daily roll calls took place. It was also the starting point for prisoners before they were assigned to various work details or sent to other parts of the camp.
- When visiting the Roll Call Area, you can see the reconstructed barrack buildings and get a sense of the living conditions endured by the prisoners.
- Take a guided tour or audio guide to learn more about the history of this area and the lives of the prisoners.
The Station Z Sanitary Building Entrance
Another significant entrance to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp is the Sanitary Building Entrance, which leads to the former barracks that housed the camp’s infirmary and clinic. This area provides insight into the medical facilities and procedures conducted under the Nazi regime.
- Explore the exhibition inside the Sanitary Building to understand the medical experiments and treatments carried out on the prisoners.
- Take your time to comprehend the devastating impact these procedures had on the lives of those interned in the camp.
The Jewish Memorial Entrance
The Jewish Memorial Entrance is a separate entrance built in 1993 to commemorate the suffering and persecution of Jewish prisoners in Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. This entrance leads to the Jewish Memorial Site, which includes a dedicated monument and a reconstructed barracks building.
- Pay your respects at the Jewish Memorial and reflect on the experiences of the Jewish prisoners at the camp.
- Consider visiting the nearby International Monument, which honors all victims of the camp regardless of their ethnicity or religion.
Understanding the various entrances to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp is essential to plan your visit effectively. Depending on your interests and objectives, you can choose which entrances to prioritize and explore. Remember to approach your visit with respect and reflect on the history and significance of the camp.
Visiting Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp can be a deeply moving and educational experience. By gaining a better understanding of the different entrances, you will be able to make the most of your visit and pay proper tribute to the victims of the Holocaust.
Table of Contents